At Llantwit Major we are aware that some pupils may be young carers.
A young carer is;
“A person under 18 years old who care's for a member of their family with an illness, disability, mental health condition or an addiction.”
Young carers may support the family by regularly:
- Completing practical tasks (cooking, housework and shopping)
- Physical care (lifting or helping some use the stairs)
- Personal care (bathing, washing, dressing and toileting)
- Managing the family budget (collecting benefits and prescriptions)
- Managing medication
- Looking after younger siblings
- Helping someone communicate
Research in 2010 suggests there are at least 700,000 young carers in the UK, many of whom do not realise they are a young carer.
At Llantwit Major we have a young carers operational lead. We are committed to identifying and supporting the needs of young carers.